Saturday, March 30, 2013

How to Respond to Verbal, Emotional Abusers

It looks like June Hunt has read our book! She espouses the condensed version of our respect me rules! Yea, its catching on. and best of all, she uses the Bible to back this up. Things are definitely getting better with Christianity and abuse!


How to Respond to Verbal, Emotional Abusers: "Six-Step Strategy to Stop Abuse
To curtail the abuse, Georgia needed a plan. "You can't change someone else, but you can change yourself so that the abusive tactics are no longer effective." I shared with her the following six-step strategy:
#1: Clearly state what you are willing to accept and are not willing to accept from the abuser.
Communicate your position in positive terms. Keep your statement short and succinct. Don't justify and don't apologize. Simply state your boundaries.
"I want our relationship to continue, but I'm not willing to listen to name calling. … I'm not willing to hear your accusations. … I'm not willing to endure any longer the onslaught of profanity.""

'via Blog this'

1 comment:

  1. This strategy seems very useful. I like the quote, "You can't change someone else, but you can change yourself so that the abusive tactics are no longer effective."

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful in how you use language.