Saturday, July 22, 2006

Md. Burning Victim Told Judge of Fears

When I lived in Virginia, I spoke before the state legislator to help enact a law that would force the police to take into account the woman's fear level in an abuse case. The story of Yvette is a perfect example why.

When my ex, Bob Bowman, was furious with me, he grabbed his 44 Magnum and slapped it into my hand saying, "Hide this." in a really scary voice. Did he want to shoot me, himself, the neighbors? I was so afraid I went to the police and asked to get rid of his guns--hide them for awhile. But the police said because he didn't say the words "I'm going to shoot someone," his actions and my reaction to his actions meant nothing legally.

We all know that the tone of voice and gestures mean as much or more then the actual words--and who better knows that tone of voice than the partner? You know what I mean by that tone that says "I'll rip your head off if you cross me."

The judge thought that the guy who "really loved his wife" was just trying to be a good husband--he discounted the woman who knew him--why?
Md. Burning Victim Told Judge of Fears: "Three weeks before Yvette Cade was doused with gasoline and set on fire, allegedly by her estranged husband, a Prince George's County judge dismissed the protective order Cade had against him, despite her objections that he was violent."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful in how you use language.