Friday, April 8, 2005

Great Article On Emotional Abuse

Pamela Brewer MSW, Ph.D., LCSW-C has written a great article on emotional abuse that anyone interested in this subject ought to take a look at.

Just what is emotional abuse? It is the ongoing emotional environment created by your abuser for the purposes of control. It's sort of like a search and destroy mission. In this war, the abuser experiences your self-esteem, your individual self, your energy, your ability to feel and question and want and need and be.... as the enemy.

2 comments:

  1. yup, my estranged became so determined to destroy me he bought the book "THE ART OF WAR." Told me it was for work (he's a manager) and then started to use the techniques on me. I am disabled now and I realize his "techniques" were one of the reasons why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true! I found that Bob, my ex was always tryng to "win" and it was like a war zone in my house. My home was not a safe place because I never knew when he was going to attack. I used to tell him all the time, "I am not the enemy." I could never understand why we couldn't just sit down and and talk things out. It was impossible because everything I said he took as a challenge to his authority. He even asked me one time, "Why do you challenge my authority all the time?" I was flabbergasted because all I was doing was talking and trying to work things out.

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful in how you use language.